free stats Carmen's Web: Birth of a Car
Sunday, November 12, 2006
Birth of a Car
My car died on me as I was driving home on Friday. Again. This time, however, I knew how to pop open my hood and pour anti-coolant into the radiator. See, I'm learning. The car wouldn't restart right away so I had to sit in it and just wait. I had picked up Chinese food on the way home and it started getting cold. And then I got really frustrated.

For starters, I had a headache. I've had a headache every day since Wednesday, November 1st. The one that day KILLED me. It felt as if someone had drilled a hole in my head and didn't bother to repair it. At one point I was convinced that my eyes were going to explode. I went to sleep early that night after overdosing on Excedrin and woke up much better. But as I made my way through the day I realized that I still had headache residuals. No big deal. It'll go away. I had another headache the day after and have had headaches every day since. They're not bad headaches; I don't have to take anything for them. They're like rainstorm headaches. But the one I had on Friday was about to develop into a tsunami and having my car die like that in the middle of the street did nothing to help.

So as I was sitting there waiting for the car to cooperate with me I made a decision. I had to buy a new car. I've had to buy one since the summer, but I've been too cheap. I try to save every single penny I make so I can buy a place to live (or travel). The thought of me dipping into my savings for a mere car made me sick to my stomach.

When I got home I told my father what happened and asked him if he could help me buy a car. I can only imagine what the car salesmen would've done to me if I had attempted to go car shopping by myself.

Fast forward the boring details. I am now a car owner. Well, car leaser. I pick it up tomorrow after work. I leased a 2006 Nissan Altima, color pewter. Never thought I'd ever use the word "pewter" in my life.

This purchase has made me highly uncomfortable. I thought I'd be happy and excited when I got my first car. Instead the butterflies in my stomach are working overtime. I've never had to pay such a high monthly bill. I'm very unhappy with that commitment.

**UPDATE**
I offered my Taurus to my next door neighbor right now who nearly squealed with delight. Even though it's an old and crappy car, she acted as if I just handed her a BMW. What's wrong with me that I can't appreciate my new car????
Thoughts shared by Carmen at 9:31 AM
| link to this post
| 4 added their 2 cents worth! |


Who: Carmen

Mini-Bio:
xx-something egyptia-yorker who's spent over half her life stuck in two worlds not of her own making. unable and unwilling to fully embrace one identity over the other, she created (is trying to create) her own place in the world where people love each other unconditionally, irrespective of artificial boundaries, and where dancing merengue is as necessary to life as breathing air.

Want more? Click here!

You can email me here



Photobucket.com image hosting and photo sharing