free stats Carmen's Web: I am SO there!!
Wednesday, June 14, 2006
I am SO there!!

Hakim, The Lion of Egypt and his Egyptian Orchestra with special guest Karina Pasian
Saturday, July 08, 2006

From 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM

Central Park SummerStage
A celebrated idol of Middle Eastern pop is joined by one of the most promising new discoveries in R&B. FREE

------

A couple of years ago, while still living in Egypt, I went to a friend's wedding at the Hilton. It was 2am, I was bored out of my wits (once you've been to ONE Egyptian wedding, you've been to ALL), the music was too loud and so I decided to step out of the hall for a little bit. I stood next to the buffet munching on the leftovers. I had wanted to go home but the fiance wanted to stick around because Hakim was supposed to make an appearance.

I hated Hakim at the time, truly hated his popular music. I was raised with Abdel Halim Hafez, Shadia, and Farid El Atrache (the classics), so Hakim, et al never really did it for me.

So I'm munching, just standing around. Hakim was about an hour and a half late and I was ready to go home. Suddenly he decided to show up. He stood next to me, outside the hall, waiting to be introduced to the crowd. He looked at me, winked, and beckoned me over to him. I'm not sure what he was thinking when he did that; did he really think I would've rushed over to him, like a groupie??? I just pretended that I didn't see him and found something else to eat, a little farther away from him. He ran inside when introduced and so I went in to watch and join in the festivities. The ENTIRE time on stage he kept looking at me and winking. I mean, the flirtation wasn't even subtle! The fiance, who had wanted to stay for the show, was actually ready to leave!

After he finished his first set I went to the bathroom and on my way back ran into him again. Wink, smile, beckon. I kept walking towards the hall. I understand that men with good looks or money probably don't need any game. I mean, Brad Pitt can get it without opening his mouth, George Clooney can get just by being there. But still, one needs to have game.

I still have the videotape of him performing for me! The minute I find it I'm uploading it for your viewing pleasure!
Thoughts shared by Carmen at 7:04 PM
| link to this post
| 8 added their 2 cents worth! |


Who: Carmen

Mini-Bio:
xx-something egyptia-yorker who's spent over half her life stuck in two worlds not of her own making. unable and unwilling to fully embrace one identity over the other, she created (is trying to create) her own place in the world where people love each other unconditionally, irrespective of artificial boundaries, and where dancing merengue is as necessary to life as breathing air.

Want more? Click here!

You can email me here



Photobucket.com image hosting and photo sharing