free stats Carmen's Web: Happy Day :)
Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Happy Day :)
It was boyfriend's birthday today. I had such an awful headache at work today that thought I wouldn't be able to take him out to the restaurant at which I made reservations. Steakhouse. I hate steak, but a couple of months ago he mentioned that he'd never eaten at Peter Luger's so I figured it would be nice to take him there.

I left work early because I thought that my brain was going to explode and ooze out of my eyes. Nasty, nasty headache. Came home, took a nap, and still was in pain. I could've cancelled on BF but didn't really want to. My brother, future doctor, insisted to try out a massage technique he learned in school. Carmen, who just can't seem to see her brother as an adult, reluctantly took him up on his offer. I mean, what's the worst he could do?

I lay down and he took my neck into his hands, stretching the muscles. He manipulated my neck, pressed on some spots, and five minutes later the pain was gone and it was as if I never even had a headache. Little brother made everything go away!!!

Refreshed and rejuvenated I went out to a really nice dinner with BF. On our way back home we drove by a marina and he stopped the car for a little bit so we could enjoy the view. He actually wanted to go and sit on the benches, something he just doesn't do...he's very impatient. I've never been able to get him to just SIT and enjoy passing time. He always has to be doing something.

The marina only had private parking, so we couldn't go and sit on the benches. We parked and watched the view, just enjoying each other's company while listening to the Mets game on the radio.

"You know what would make my birthday complete?" he asked.

"adlkajf;lksdjf;il" (I cannot repeat the dirty thing I said to him).

He chuckled and said no.

"My birthday would be complete if you married me."

I didn't really hear him...it was almost a whisper. But he whipped out a box from his jacket pocket. I looked at it and still couldn't comprehend what was happening.

I took the box, opened it, and closed it immediately. You know how in the movies women always open the box and close it?? I always thought it was so fake, so stupid. No one would react like that.

But that's exactly what I did. I thought he had gotten me earrings, my favorite accessories. But it was a diamond. And I couldn't process what had just happened.

I closed the box and clutched it tightly, grabbed him and hugged HIM even tighter. I didn't say anything, just kept hugging him. I needed time to process all this, to make sure that this was happening, to relish in that moment. I was scared, surprised, happy...name the emotion, I felt it. It was such a surreal moment.

I never needed a ring. We both knew where we stood and where we were heading. Who needs the formalities?

After a couple of minutes of silence, he asked, "um....yes, no, maybe? It would be nice to have an answer." Again, something I only thought happened in the movies.

"OF COURSE!" I told him, still clutching the box in my hand and him in my arms.

I finally let him go, he took the box because it was apparent that I was just not going to open it, took the ring out, and slipped it on my finger. It's beautiful. He's beautiful.

We drove to his house afterwards where he called his family. Within ten minutes, fifteen people were over at his house, screaming, squeeling, hugging. It was....strange. Here are all these people, rejoicing, and my family doesn't even have an inkling. I pushed that thought out of my mind because, frankly, I don't feel like thinking about this now. All I want to do is enjoy this moment, which has been a long time coming.
Thoughts shared by Carmen at 10:54 PM
| link to this post
| 63 added their 2 cents worth! |


Who: Carmen

Mini-Bio:
xx-something egyptia-yorker who's spent over half her life stuck in two worlds not of her own making. unable and unwilling to fully embrace one identity over the other, she created (is trying to create) her own place in the world where people love each other unconditionally, irrespective of artificial boundaries, and where dancing merengue is as necessary to life as breathing air.

Want more? Click here!

You can email me here



Photobucket.com image hosting and photo sharing