free stats Carmen's Web: Why I love NYC
Saturday, March 10, 2007
Why I love NYC
It's full of unexpected little delights!

I've been working like a dog recently. Have taken on a lot more responsibility than I need to AND am taking a class on Saturdays for the next five weeks. A six day workweek has left much to be desired. If I'm not working, then I'm in hibernation mode. No amount of convincing will make me leave my house once I return to it after a hard day's work. An evening well spent is one where I can watch "Rome" or "Heroes" in peace and fall asleep right after.

Last night, however, I managed to muster enough energy to go see a movie at the Paris. Nothing planned...I just so happened to be in midtown during the evening and just walked in. Probably the only spontaneous thing I've done in the past six months to a year.

I've always wanted to watch a movie at the Paris. Been in NY for 17 years and never once made it. It was the opening night of "The Namesake", the new movie by Mira Nair. I'm a big Nair fan. I think she's got a great eye and gives us great stories. I had read the book as well and Carmen likes any book that talks about the complex lives of immigrants.

Anyway, here's why NYC is so wonderful:

As I was standing on line waiting to get into the theater (the line was almost a block long) I saw a poster about a movie coming out soon on the little sparrow of France. I LOVE Edith Piaf. Her songs magically transport me to a cabaret in Pigalle.

I've always been an old, young woman. When my peers were listening to Debbie Gibson, I was obsessed with the Beatles and the Temptations. I've gotten a lot of flack for blasting Edith Piaf and Marlene Dietrich in my car. I had a friend try to get out of my car because she was so embarrassed by the music! But screw 'em all! The minute this movie comes out I'm going to be the first on line to see it. At the Paris.

So already I'm in a good mood. I'm entering a theater I've always dreamed of visiting and was warmly greeted by Piaf. As we're sitting waiting for the movie to begin, the manager comes out and introduces herself. The Paris truly IS a special theater! Thank you for coming to our theater and we hope you enjoy the movie, she said. Tonight we have a special treat for you. The director of the movie, Mira Nair, is here with us tonight!

By this point I'm beginning to remember why it is that I love New York and began wondering why I keep myself so busy that I can't seem to live spontaneously anymore.

After Nair talked to us for a bit the previews start. I'm already enchanted by the entire evening at this point. The preview just put the icing on top of the cake. "Paris, Je t'aime", a romantic ode to the City of Lights, should be coming out soon.

There is no city in the world that I love more than Paris. I love traveling, I love playing in various cities. I've got several favorites and several that I wouldn't mind moving to. But I am in love with Paris.

"The Namesake" was great and had the entire audience in tears, especially those who never read the book. I've never been to a movie where EVERYONE was crying.

It was a great Friday night full of unexpected surprises. I need to do this more often.
Thoughts shared by Carmen at 10:58 PM
| link to this post
| 13 added their 2 cents worth! |


Who: Carmen

Mini-Bio:
xx-something egyptia-yorker who's spent over half her life stuck in two worlds not of her own making. unable and unwilling to fully embrace one identity over the other, she created (is trying to create) her own place in the world where people love each other unconditionally, irrespective of artificial boundaries, and where dancing merengue is as necessary to life as breathing air.

Want more? Click here!

You can email me here



Photobucket.com image hosting and photo sharing