free stats Carmen's Web: Christmas politics
Saturday, December 23, 2006
Christmas politics
Shopping for Christmas presents can be very frustrating sometimes. I'm sitting here, a day before Christmas Eve, still racking my brain over what to buy for whom. I'm usually pretty good with this. I start Christmas shopping in October. It makes the holidays easier to navigate when you don't have to worry so much about gifts.

This year becomes a bit complicated because I'm spending Christmas with the boyfriend and his family for the first time. His large family. He's the youngest of twelve, so between his brother and sisters and nieces and nephews it becomes difficult to know who to buy presents for. He has the same problem as well each year. It becomes a very political process and often drives him crazy. Last year he bought each of his brothers and sisters board games. This actually turned out to be a great present because it got the families to spend quality time together throughout the year. This year they've all promised each other no presents, which has saved him major headaches.

I, however, feel strange spending Christmas with his family and not having anything for them. I mean, I know I can't buy something for everyone...it would be INSANE to even try. But there are some that I see on a constant basis and would love to get something for. The problem here is that I don't want them to feel obligated to give me something in return. And I don't want them feeling horrible about themselves for not getting me something. (Best Friend apparently had the same problem).

So now I can do one of two things; I can either buy them nice presents or I can run out right now and buy some stocking stuffers. I'm leaning towards the stocking stuffers because I really don't want to overdo it, especially since the present giving is curtailed this Christmastime at their household. Little presents won't make them feel so bad.

On top of all this, some of them really have no idea what to do with me at Christmas. The boyfriend's niece is dating a Muslim and he has informed them all that he in no way celebrates Christmas; he does not want nor will he give presents. They now keep asking me, very shyly, if I'm going to come over for Christmas. Not too long ago he told them that he doesn't eat the meat of sin. I tried to convince the boyfriend that he must have been kidding, that there's no way anyone would say "meat of sin", but I'm beginning to think that the boy was serious. That niece's boyfriend is giving me and mine a really bad name.

Labels:

Thoughts shared by Carmen at 1:13 PM
| link to this post
| 14 added their 2 cents worth! |


Who: Carmen

Mini-Bio:
xx-something egyptia-yorker who's spent over half her life stuck in two worlds not of her own making. unable and unwilling to fully embrace one identity over the other, she created (is trying to create) her own place in the world where people love each other unconditionally, irrespective of artificial boundaries, and where dancing merengue is as necessary to life as breathing air.

Want more? Click here!

You can email me here



Photobucket.com image hosting and photo sharing